Thursday 8 October 2009

The making of my production ident



After deciding to animate a faery, there were many options I had in how exactly I would animate it. I've already done a lot of 3d animation in my spare time, and didn't think that the fairy would work very well as a claymation, that's to be experimented with later with something else.

I decided to draw out the faery in pencil, slightly basing her outline around a postcard I have at home. I then used a black permanent marker to highlight the outlines. Then I used an overhead projector which my brother uses to create his stencils as a light box, and traced the outline onto a new piece of paper ontop of the other, so I could very slightly change it's shape.

I only needed to create 5 frames, as the ident isn't going to be very long, and I could reverse the frames to make it repeat. Once I had the outlines, I used colouring pencil to shade in the faery picture. Once in college again, I used 'Photobooth' on the mac to take pictures of each frame. Then I imported them into photoshop and added an effect to them.

I decided to have an earthy style background, which would be green and brown, in a camoflage style print. I did this through experimenting with the different brushes in photoshop, and I removed the white background of the faery to use the alpha so that the background shows through.

Finally I added the name of my production company 'Sundance' with blending options around it, and 'Productions' right ontop of it as the idea was to fade the Sundance layer into the productions one to make the change subtle.



No comments:

Post a Comment